Sunday, August 24, 2014






I have loved trucks since I was a little girl growing up in my Dad's garage and I finally have one again!  I have also always wanted a rat rod project (I love a good patina!) of my own and am the first one in my car oriented family to do one.  We found a 1966 GMC 1/2 ton that had been shipped to the Midwest from Texas where it appears to have had a hard, long life.  Caked in mud and not running, a friend trailered it here for us and now the work begins.  Disassembly has begun and a pallet of new metal has arrived to rebuild the truck to it's former glory.  I will top it off with a rust patina paint job and the original blue in a satin finish so the body will be protected and not continue to rust away.  It has a large back window, a 351 V6 and a shortbed, fleet side box. I will reuse the original bumper and grill--I appreciate it's dents and character the way it is.  The V6 is going away to be replaced with the 327 out of a '65 Chevelle SS that I used to work on with my late Dad when I was growing up.   The Chevelle is another project my husband is having done and can be viewed at www.hosschevelle.blogspot.com 




We have decided to name the truck Idle Hands because this was originally my husband's bad idea that I was supposed to talk him out of. Unfortunately, I loved the idea and couldn't wait to find a project!  It's something for us to tinker with together since we've missed working on cars for quite some time. We tore apart the top end of the 327 and my brother who is a mechanic will rebuild it with a performance kit from Summit Racing.  I have plans to drag race this beast when it's done and take my girlfriends with me and let them drive too.  So many people have racing a car on their bucket list but don't have anything to run. I've done it for years and like to introduce new people to the adrenaline rush I love so much.  One of the future plans is to recycle the bomber jacket leather off of an old love seat to recover the bench for a pieced leather look.  I want lots of seams and textures on it and can't wait to take it to the upholsterer for it's makeover.  My husband pointed out that a "normal" woman would have been happy with a several thousand dollar diamond ring and seriously pissed if she was given a rusty truck that didn't run. Obviously I am not your average woman!

No comments:

Post a Comment